NJ Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact Defense Lawyer
Sex Crimes Defense Attorney with Offices in Totowa and Denville, New Jersey
Alissa D. Hascup is a skilled criminal defense lawyer who has successfully handled countless cases throughout New Jersey, including in Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Wayne, Totowa, Morristown, Denville, Hackensack, and Newark. Whether you are charged with aggravated criminal sexual contact, sexual assault, lewdness, or criminal sexual contact, you need a serious attorney who knows the law and will fight aggressively on your behalf for the best possible result.
Being charged with a sex crime in New Jersey can mean exposure to a term of incarceration in New Jersey State Prison, as well as a host of collateral consequences, including Megan’s Law Registration, Parole Supervision for Life, and a mandatory psychosexual evaluation. Having an experienced defense attorney can make all the difference when your freedom and your future is at stake. Contact Ms. Hascup’s office now for an initial consultation, which is always provided free of charge.
Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact in New Jersey: N.J.S.A. 2C:14-3a
Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact is codified under N.J.S.A. 2C:14-3a, which provides:
An actor is guilty of aggravated criminal sexual contact if he commits an act of sexual contact with the victim under any of the following circumstances:
1. The victim is less than 13 years old;
2. The victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years old and:
a. The actor is related to the victim by blood or affinity to the third degree; or
b. The actor has supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the actor s legal, professional, or occupational status; or
c. The actor is a resource family parent, a guardian, or stands in loco parentis within the household;
3. The act is committed during the commission, or attempted commission, whether alone or with one or more other persons, of robbery, kidnapping, homicide, aggravated assault on another, burglary, arson or criminal escape;
4. The actor is armed with a weapon or any object fashioned in such a manner as to lead the victim to reasonably believe it to be a weapon and threatens by word or gesture to use the weapon or object;
5. The actor is aided or abetted by one or more other persons and the actor uses physical force or coercion;
6. The actor uses physical force or coercion and severe personal injury is sustained by the victim;
7. The victim is one whom the actor knew or should have known was physically helpless, mentally defective or mentally incapacitated.
Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact is a crime of the Third Degree, punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to 5 years in New Jersey State Prison. Additionally, an Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact conviction also carries with it the following requirements: Parole Supervision for Life, Megan’s Law Registration, and a psychosexual evaluation (commonly referred to in court as an Avenel evaluation ).
Contact a Denville NJ Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact Attorney Today
The consequences of an aggravated criminal sexual contact conviction are serious and permanent. Call or email the office of Alissa D. Hascup right away for a free consultation about your case.